This really pretty green juice is made up of lots of kale, some celery & an apple. The celery was way too overpowering, it seemed to turn the drink salty, so next time I'll be sure to add in another apple and maybe a bit less celery. I made some of it for my Dad & he seemed to love it though! This weekend I actually tried another drink with some celery (and a bunch of other things, I'll be posting about it later!) and it was delicious. I just should have thrown in some more apples. This was one of the first juices that I tried making, and now I know to test it before I pour it into the glass... haha. Make sure it's not too bitter or sweet and that nothing is too overpowering.
Here are some health benefits for juicing celery (via juicing-for-health):
- Acidity: The important minerals in this magical juice effectively balance the body's blood pH, neutralizing acidity.
- Athletes: Celery juice acts as the perfect post-workout tonic as it replaces lost electrolytes and rehydrates the body with its rich minerals.
- Cancer: Celery is known to contain at least eight families of anti-cancer compounds. Among them are the acetylenics that have been shown to stop the growth of tumor cells. Phenolic acids which block the action of prostaglandins that encourage the growth of tumor cells. And coumarins which help prevent free radicals from damaging cells.
- Cholesterol: This humble pale juice has been shown to effectively and significantly lower total cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Cooling: During dry and hot weather, drink a glass of celery juice two or three times a day, between meals. It wonderfully helps to normalize body temperature.
- Inflammation: The polyacetylene in celery is an amazing relief for all inflammation like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, asthma and bronchitis.
- Kidney function: Celery promotes healthy and normal kidney function by aiding elimination of toxins from the body. While eliminating toxins, it also prevents formation of kidney stones.
- Lower blood pressure: Drinking celery juice every day for a week significantly helps lower blood pressure. A compound called phtalides help relax the muscle around arteries, dilating the vessels and allowing blood to flow normally. To be effective, drink the juice for one week, stop for three weeks, and start over.
- Nervous system:
The organic alkaline minerals in celery juice has a calming
effect on the nervous system, making it a wonderful drink for
I never would have guessed that something like celery juice had so many awesome health benefits! And it's helpful for insomniacs, awesome. I'll definitely have to try drinking some before I go to bed some night & see if I'm able to fall asleep easier.
Have any of you guys been juicing? Are you liking these juice posts? Even if you guys don't have a juicer I hope that you are still getting something out of the health benefits, you could just blend the fruits/vegetables to just simple eat them! If you have been juicing, let me know what I should try out! Any suggestions would be awesome.
Check out my other juicing posts for other recipes and health benefits for different fruits & vegetables: